Tuesday, February 3, 2009

SCOUTED: Navajo Healing

One morning last May I was going on my morning walk through Stanford's campus when the sounds of Fergie's "Humps" on my iPod started to get drowned out by drumming. The sound got louder near the eucalyptus grove on Palm Drive and I when I walked through the clearing, I ran into a huge Pow- Wow; a celebration of Native American culture. It was totally amazing - there was a dirt circle at the center of everything were people were stomping in a ritual dance and tents full of people on the sidelines were drumming along with them. Everyone was in various states of dress from sweats to head-to-toe feathers with five foot tall head dressers and moccasins with bells that jingled while they walked. The detail on some of those outfits would make a haute couture artisan swoon. 

 
The back of the clearing was a sea of booths. Dodging through row after row of hand-beaded jewelry and fried food, ducking under massive headwear and trying not to step on fresh suede shoes, I managed to spot a lone booth at the outskirts with Native American skincare remedies. 

The brand was called Medicine of the People and I the most amazing woman there, Virginia,who founded the company based on what she learned from her father who was a Navajo healer. I was totally rapped by her story - picking herbs with her father from the reservation as a young girl, and.... well, in her own words: 





Wow. Always hunting for the best new acne cure, I immediately went for her Purifying Salve. Good thing I jumped that because as I was there I met John, a loyal customer ready and willing to wipe Virginia out every last tin of salve. He told me that he waits all year to stock up on the purifying salve when Virginia sets up her booth at the Pow-Wow and his daughter can't live without it: 


You know how much I love balms, so I couldn't help but fall in love with this one too. I warm a little bit in my hands and pat over my face before bed when I'm feeling a little ikk. It's even fun to put on - the smell is so rich and herbal that after hearing Virginia's story, I feel like I'm out hunting for new ingredients at the reservation with her every time I use it. It's not a hardcore zit-blaster, but it does give a great, "I just got a secret facial" glow by morning. Bonus: it comes in a chic little tin -- one of the only acne products that I love to leave out on my make-up table! I'd even gift this one. 

Find out more here: www.medicineofthepeople.net

scouted by beautifuld

No comments:

Post a Comment